Wednesday, December 19, 2012

{easy!} chicken & dumplings

I'm about as close to a chef as Lindsay Lohan is to sober. Most nights I opt for healthy {read un-intimidating} fare, but sometimes, I even surprise myself. I can count every dish {actual dish, not grilled chicken & steamed veggies} I can make on one hand...but those 5 are surprisingly tasty! Chicken and Dumplings is one of them and I thought I would share the recipe in case you're in the mood for something easy/fun/yummy/comforting -
 
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
12 oz chicken breasts, 1/2 box of Free Range Organic Chicken Broth, 1.5 cans of cream of mushroom soup (I use the healthiest version available and don't notice a difference in taste), 1/2 tube Bisquick frozen biscuits, 1 bag organic soup veggies, salt & pepper to taste
 
Directions:
1. Cut up chicken into bite-size chunks & boil. Drain when white throughout (do I even have to say this? Please DON'T eat pink chicken!) & mix with +/- 1 tsp. each salt & pepper & put back in pot on stove
 
2. Add chicken broth & cream of mushroom soup & bring to a boil. Drop in bag of vegetables.
 
3. Pull off bits of biscuit dough (about the size of a dime) & drop into boiling soup. Leave on for about 5 minutes or until dumplings expand & become golden colored
 
4. Turn stove to low, add salt & pepper to taste and let simmer uncovered for 20 minutes
 
Enjoy!
 
 
While the c&d was cooking, I went for a run with my sweet friend, Kristal. It was the first one I've been on since the Turkey Trot so it was much needed. Lucky for me it was perfect running weather since Houston decided winter = 70 degrees this year. We had a blast checking out the Christmas lights around the neighborhood and squeezed in 3.5 miles.
 
 
Anyone else overindulge over the past few weeks? I've eaten so many sweets I fear my dentist is going to just love me the next time I see him. I'm promising myself I'm taking a break from gluttony starting tomorrow until Christmas day. After all, its a holiday not a holi-two-months :)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment